Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl...Oh S***!

Every year Jackson and I go to a Super Bowl Party and I bring all kinds of yummy things to eat. Homemade buffalo wings, jambalaya with sausage & chicken & shrimp, a glorious cheese platter, little smokies, meatballs, various dips, etc. This year as I thought about the fun Super Bowl Party we were going to attend, I thought "Oh Shit!" What can I make that is healthy. Most game day snacks are full of cheese, meat and other forms of dairy. Since Jackson and I are not eating any dairy right now and just a little meat I was trying to think outside of the box yet plan ahead so that we had some healthy options. We can eat a little meat but we had some the night before at Tepannyaki so I needed to go a vegan route for the big game day. I made my hummus but went spicy due to a suggestion by Nikki. Glad I did. Spicy hummus is great! And I also made Mexican Lettuce Cups. Sorry about the limited pictures. Once we got to the party I didn't take any. I was too busy socializing. Doesn't sound like me at all does it? ;)


So I will include the recipes for the hummus and the Mexican Lettuce Cups. The cool thing about the lettuce cups is you can just eat it as a bean salad, or put it on lettuce or in a tortilla, etc. Whatever floats your boat.


Remember, I rarely measure. It is all about adding things according to your taste buds. Experiment and play around with it. 


Spicy Hummus 


Garbanzo beans (for this batch I used 3 cans, you can use less for just one or two people)
Lemon juice
Tahini
Sundried tomatoes
Olive oil (about a tbsp)
4-5 garlic cloves (less if you are using less beans and making a smaller batch)
Ground Cumin
Crushed Red Pepper
Coarse salt
a little water


Start with the sun dried tomatoes and olive oil in a food processor and process till they are broken up into tiny pieces. Then add the rest slowly adding the beans. As you add the beans you may need a little water to thin it out. Process till everything is processed good and the mixture is not lumpy at all. Serve with your favorite veggies!


Mexican Lettuce Cups


4 cans of black beans rinsed and drained
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (leave seeds in for more heat)
1 onion, diced
1 can of corn rinsed and drained
juice of two limes (more if you prefer it)
chopped cilantro
garlic salt
chipotle seasoning
Avocadoes, diced



Add everything but the avocadoes and mix well gently to avoid breaking the beans. Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. Before serving dice up a couple avocadoes and add to the bean mixture. Serve with pieces of romaine lettuce, cabbage, butter lettuce etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment