Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Spaghetti and no meat meat sauce, WHAT????

So Monday I went to Walmart before going to my sister's house. I decided to get us a healthy snack and the Fruit bowls had pineapple ( she is deathly allergic) so I got us little apple packs. Apple slices and carmel for her and apple slices with peanut butter for me. Next to the fruit was the vegan foods. I glanced at the soy crumbles and had visions of spaghetti with no meat meat sauce. So I figured what the hell and bought a package.


 After a fun afternoon at my sister's house including walking on her brand new treadmill (it is AWESOME) and playing LIFE on the Wii, I headed home to play with my no meat meat. I made my usual spaghetti sauce, boiled some whole wheat spaghetti and roasted some asparagus to serve on the side. The finished product looked just like a meat sauce. And it tasted like it too. I hid the package from J to see if he could tell what was in the sauce. He couldn't tell it was fake meat! Fantastic. It gave the dish more protein without a ton of calories or fat. And I could have sworn it was meat! The asparagus was wonderful as well!  Never would have thought I would buy let alone try let alone like soy crumbles! That is why you shouldn't knock things before you try them I guess. 


 We have some great friends and family that are very supportive and proud of us. As of today I have lost 19 pounds and J has lost 28 pounds in a month! It is pretty awesome. There are some skeptics out there and that is totally cool. We have found what works for us. And the cool thing about the recipes I post, is that anyone can change them to fit their needs. I won't preach to anyone because I know how it is to struggle and try something that works for someone but not for me. I love food. Always have. Always will. I just look it differently now. Now I better post the recipe so I can get to work in time to walk on the treadmill before my work day gets crazy!


Spaghetti Ingredients


1-2 cans of tomato sauce (depending on how much sauce you want to make)
1 can of tomato paste
1 can of diced tomatoes
4-5 cloves of garlic
Fresh or dried Italian herbs
1 small onion diced
8-10 small mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bella)
Whole wheat spaghetti
Soy crumbles (the package said it equals 1 pound of cooked ground beef)
Little garlic salt





Start your pasta water boiling, add a little salt if you like to salt your pasta. While it is boiling make your sauce. I cooked some of the garlic and onion and herbs in the sauce pot and left the rest to cook in a skillet with the mushrooms and at the end added the soy crumbles. I used Pam cooking spray and the water saute method. Use a little water instead of oil or butter and your onions, garlic etc. saute perfectly. After sauteing the onions, garlic and herbs for a minute or two add the cans of sauce, paste and tomatoes to your sauce pot. Simmer on low, stirring frequently. Add your garlic salt or any seasoning you want. Saute the rest of the onions, garlic, herbs and mushrooms in a skillet. Once they look about done add the soy crumbles. Stir till combined. Once your pasta is done drain it and put it back in the pot (off of the heat) and add the sauce and soy crumble mixture. Yummy!

Looks just like Spaghetti with meat sauce
















Roasted Asparagus Ingredients


1 1/2 bunches of asparagus (ends trimmed)
Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil Mist


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly mist a baking sheet with olive oil (J got me a mister for Christmas. I LOVE it) and put the asparagus spears on the baking sheet. Lightly mist the asparagus spears with the olive oil and sprinkle with a little lemon juice. Salt and pepper the spears and then roast for 20-25 minutes flipping once while your pasta and everything is cooking. Serve on the side of your pasta. Healthy and delicious!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment