Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pesto is the best-o

On Sunday J wanted us to make a pizza for lunch. We had a whole grain crust and lots of veggies so there wasn't much stopping us. I wanted to do something different for the sauce. For the last pizza we did I made a "cashew cheese". I decided this time to make a pesto and add some cashews and a little nutritional yeast. The result was pretty fantastic. Jackson was in charge of chopping and assembly. He added a bunch of veggies, a little vegan cheese (the rice shreds "mozzarella") and a short while later we had a healthy but uber flavorful pizza! If you don't have nutritional yeast I highly recommend it. The lovely miss Natalie gets hers at Winco. I couldn't find it at ours so we got it at the Sunflower Market in the bulk foods section. You don't have to give up things like pizza or pasta when you eat healthy. You just have to make it a little differently and don't be afraid to experiment. I am now in a pants size (as of yesterday) that I haven't been in since J and I were first dating. We met 10 years ago on the 15th. So it has been a long time. It won't be long and I won't have to shop at Lane Bryant anymore! Jackson is kicking ass too! It feels good to finally find what works for us. 


Pesto Ingredients


Fresh Basil
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Oregano
Olive oil
Nutritional Yeast
Cashews
Garlic Salt
Crushed Red Pepper (just a tad for a little heat)



OK. So you all know I don't measure. With the Pesto it is really up to you and your tastes. Add, process in the food processor, taste....add, process in the food processor, taste. I would go very light with the oil. I used about 1 1/2 tbsp. I used about 1 tbsp of the yeast and about a 1/3 cup of cashews. It is easier if you start with the herbs and oil and process. Then add everything else. 


Spread on the pizza crust, add your toppings and bake according to the crust instructions. We had mushrooms, spinach, peppers, onions and tomatoes. Delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment