Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spicy veggie stir fry over Bistro rice

And I am back!!!! Sorry that I was gone so long! My life was crazy and then we went on our fabulous vacation! We had a fantastic time! The food at the resort was amazing. We tried to stay vegan-ish but it was hard. Especially knowing what we were paying for all inclusive to not try everything. But now we are home, a couple pounds heavier and in need of lots of veggies and fruit and some detoxing! Ha ha! I was excited to get back in the kitchen. I went grocery shopping and bought lots of healthy ingredients. Last night I made stir fry. My house smelled heavenly. I bought a new vegan cookbook on my nook prior to our trip. Chloe's Kitchen. I highly recommend it. She had some must haves for your pantry and one of them was Sesame oil. I picked some up at the store and I am so glad I did. A little goes a long way and it makes your house smell lovely and the food taste wonderful! I found a Bistro Blend rice in the bulk section of Winco. I am glad I picked it up. It is really yummy! You can do this with any rice of your choice. So we are back to embracing Eat to Live wholeheartedly! And now for the good stuff. The recipe!


Stir Fry Ingredients

1 habanero pepper - diced (optional for those of you who don't like heat do not add this!)
baby bell peppers - chopped

1/2 large white onion - chopped in larger pieces

Celery - chopped in larger pieces
Portabello mushrooms - chopped in larger pieces
Snap peas 
1 can of baby corn - rinsed and drained
Basil - chopped
6 cloves of garlic - chopped
Sesame Oil
Agave nectar

Chinese 5 spice (Highly recommend if you love Asian cooking)

Sesame seeds (You can buy toasted or toast raw sesame seeds. I toasted mine.)
Braggs Liquid Amino





Heat up the sesame seed oil and add the garlic and habanero pepper and cook for a minute or two. Then add all of the veggies, agave nectar, seasonings, amino (you can also use soy sauce), basil and simmer till veggies are cooked through but still crisp. Top rice with veggies and then top with sesame seeds. 


**Rice**

For the bistro rice I used two cups of rice and 4 cups of water. I added the rice and water to a pot, sprinkled some coarse salt in and some Chinese 5 spice and once it boiled covered and let it simmer for 50 minutes then took it off the heat and let it rest for 15 minutes still covered. Do not stir or anything until it is done resting. Then you can fluff with a fork. 






1 comment:

  1. Your recipe makes me healthy. Thanks for sharing this on your blog because I really want to know those kinds of recipe. A perfect combination of my recipe for stir fry sauce would be the best for me.

    ReplyDelete