Sunday, September 9, 2012

OK. I am really back....

OK. I am really back....back to myself, back in the kitchen and back to blogging about food! Life got crazy, I wasn't feeling great but now life is still crazy but I am feeling great and it is a good crazy! This summer brought us an amazing little niece, more time with my family, more responsibilities and opportunities at work, some health crap and loads of vegetables!!! Now that things have settled down a bit and I am back to being me I am back to blogging about the dishes I make and sharing them with you all! 

This morning I was inspired by all of the heirloom tomatoes piling up on my kitchen table and the 3 petite lobster tails in the freezer. Lobster is pretty cheap right now due to a surplus (thanks for telling me Dad, finally found some good deals) so I bought 3 tails about a week ago at Winco. I told Jackson not to enter the kitchen and got to work making a delicious brunch! I made an heirloom tomato salad with lobster and garnished it with watermelon slices sprinkled with cayenne pepper (J-man loves it that way). It turned out even better than I hoped for! You don't have to make this with lobster (can just keep it vegetarian, or do it with shrimp or tuna) but I would not suggest substituting the heirloom tomatoes for store bought. So raid your garden, your friend's garden, my garden or go to a farmer's market and get some yummy  heirloom tomatoes. 

Salad Ingredients

3 petite lobster tails (3 oz each)
1/2 head of romaine lettuce (washed, dried and pull apart the leaves keeping about 5 for each salad depending on how big they are)
1/4 of a red onion - diced
3 hard boiled eggs - sliced
4 different heirloom tomatoes - sliced 
Salt

Boil lobster tails until they curl up and turn bright red. Peel and remove lobster meat from the shell. Cut into pieces and saute quickly in a pan with a little butter or olive oil and garlic salt. Remove from heat and let cool. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate. Top with the tomato slices then red onion, then hard boiled egg slices and then top with the lobster and sprinkle with salt. Drizzle dressing on top and serve with the watermelon slices.

Dressing Ingredients

a handful of fresh herbs (basil, parsley)
a tsp of diced red onion
about 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
balsamic vinegar (I used a yummy Fig Balsamic I picked up at Honeyville Grain)

Put everything in a food processor and blend till everything is chopped and combined. 


Watermelon Garnish Ingredients

As much watermelon as you want (I used a petite seedless watermelon)
Cayenne Pepper 

Slice watermelon into wedges and lightly sprinkle with cayenne pepper. 




No comments:

Post a Comment